Horses Are Us ©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly equestrian forum...created in 2002 & still going strong.Everyone is welcome as long as you share our love of Horses.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Location mapLocation map  

Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...

Go down 
+2
Lorraine
frazz_starlightbay
6 posters
AuthorMessage
frazz_starlightbay
Novice
Novice
frazz_starlightbay

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... Empty
PostSubject: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Well... for those fatter horses spring is a time for weight watching.
Anyone got any ideas to keep weight down to help people with fatties.
Jake's at a perfect weight now, but we really struggled last year and had to put a muzzle (or 3 when he broke them) on him.
Hoping to bring him in for a few hours each day during the spring when he's out 24 hours.
xx I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fwrightphotography
Lorraine
Admin
Admin
Lorraine

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 am

I'm hoping Jax will post her pictures of Katy on here.
She has done a great job with reducing her weight & Katy looks great. ( I do know there was lots of exercise involved Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... 417306 as they compete in fun rides)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tanglesrosettes.co.uk/3.html
frazz_starlightbay
Novice
Novice
frazz_starlightbay

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 am

Oh wow, hope to see them. I remember seeing her last year when she was over weight.
I guess i will just have to ride Jake alot then! xx I love you
Back to top Go down
nat
Admin
Admin
nat

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:18 am

we put muzzles on a few of our mares, not enough time to ride them and some of them arent backed anyway. Things will change when we get to devon,,,if we ever get there ,, Crying or Very sad No
Back to top Go down
http://the-other1.deviantart.com/
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

Number of posts : 310

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:14 am

I don't really have this problem as Astra has finally realised that she doesn't have to pig out......and she doesn't get lami, which is a God-send. She does tend to put a bit of weight on at first but, it soon evens out.

I think the best plan for the porkers is either bring them in for half the day (which is such a shame), muzzle the greedy guts, or have a "no grass" paddock with monitored hay and feed.........

If it were me, I'd section a bit of the field off and keep her there during the day......less sugars and calories in night-time grazing.

Jax's Katie is a different horse.......she's a slim Jim..........after loads of care from Jax.......I'll try and upload her pic in a mo......she'll give you some advice am sure when she's around.

x
Back to top Go down
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

Number of posts : 310

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:20 am

Skin and bone LOL

Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... 12022008

x
Back to top Go down
frazz_starlightbay
Novice
Novice
frazz_starlightbay

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 9:08 am

Wow she looks fab now!
I guess Jake will have to come in during the day again if the weight gets a problem, because he wont stay in a sectioned paddock!! Not if tehre's nicer grass on the other side!
xxx I love you
Back to top Go down
Jax_n_Katy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments on Katy. She has done really well with her weight loss. She got up to a hefty 689kg last year. I restricted her grazing for a while in a small paddock and then halved the rest of her field. Little Alfie is on the other half of it now.
To be honest I can't really claim any credit for the 'exercise' part of her weight loss, as due to my new job I haven't actually ridden as her much as I should have. The odd hack out is about all we have done. The pleasure ride we did the other weekend was our first one for over a year.
Her weight loss has been mainly due to restricting her grazing (luckily).
Mind you, the weight isn't the only thing that was lost. By putting wooden posts around my field, dividing it into sections, all the electric tape, energiser, batteries etc, I reckon I have spent well over 400 quid.

Still, she is worth it.

Jax

P.S How the heck did you get that pic on there. I haven't sussed out how to do that yet? Thanks anyway hun.
Back to top Go down
reiceebaby
Novice
Novice
reiceebaby

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm

spots pretty average atm. but she could do with putting on a few pounds this summer What a Face

just cos had rubbish grass this winter... so shes lost a bit of condition...

nothing a nice load of spring grass wont heal im sure Wink x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...   Spring is in the air... time for muzzles... Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring is in the air... time for muzzles...
Page 1 of 1