Horses Are Us ©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly equestrian forum...created in 2002 & still going strong.Everyone is welcome as long as you share our love of Horses.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Location mapLocation map  

Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... Empty
PostSubject: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 am

We didn't have a general behaviour section Derek.....now we have LOL

Reposted for you:

lady lynns pony is being pain in the bum wants to grab my jeans coat etc she looks like a mud monster will have give her a good groom tommorrow been getting hay etc today will go get food tommorrow order shavings shes fine in field etc or muddy paddock as it is lol shes had to stay in yesterday as i wormed her sunday tea as had go out yesterday friend saw to her she is happy staying in but just dont understand why shes nipping is she playing or being serious as shes been kept in with only few hours turnout as fields dont reopen till may 1st what should we do derek lynn kits dogs bunny lady the pony
Back to top Go down
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 am

Tell her off Derek......I find biting and nipping even more annoying and nasty than a kicker.

Do you hand feed her treats by any chance? That is usually the main cause.......

When she goes to bite.......face her off, look her in the eye and really mean "NO"......

x
Back to top Go down
nat
Admin
Admin
nat

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 am

or if that doesnt work, let her meet with your elbow, dont appear to elbow her, but let her think she has done it. Might seem a bit drastic to some, but if you dont stop this at the start it can and will get much worse, and you dont want that, nasty horses are a real pain in the a***
Back to top Go down
http://the-other1.deviantart.com/
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 am

Tis not nasty at all Nat, tis bad manners for a horse to do that........it's a pain for sure, in more ways that one. A trick I always use for biters is to keep a water brush in my hand (the really hard bristle ones)......and when one lunges for you, put the brush in the way. A biter is never so off put than getting a face full of stinging bristles on their nose.....and they don't know it's you who's done it....it just hurts like hell.....timing is key though.....no good just shoving the brush in their mush willy nilly LOL

x
Back to top Go down
nat
Admin
Admin
nat

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 am

yeah thats a good one, i tired a method once. The idea was to give there fetlock or somewhere around that area a 'nudge' with your foot when they were lunging at you with there teeth,,,, but pasha just used to pick his leg up first and then try and bite, clever bugger! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://the-other1.deviantart.com/
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 5:10 am

I've heard of that one too LOL............

A horse I looked after once was a biter when I tacked him up......so I did the "leg drag thing" down his fetlock to make him look away......and he did the same as Pasha.......lifted that leg up so I couldn't reach it........canny little monkeys

x
Back to top Go down
kiwi
Novice
Novice
kiwi

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 am

They sure are quick and learn things we do not want them to learn.
If she has just started and seeing as it is coming into spring over there, is she coming on heat as some mares can be right tetchy and right madams who will squeal bite kick affraid and be quite unlike their normal self.
If it is heat then hopefully she may calm down soon
If not then you have a bit of a problem, elbows and brushes are good. If you are working around them tying them up really short so as not to allow the head to come around will also work.
Back to top Go down
http://nanakiwi.deviantart.com/gallery/
Lorraine
Admin
Admin
Lorraine

Number of posts : 122

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 3:56 am

I read Nats post wrong & thought it said "The idea was to give there forelock or somewhere around that area a 'nudge' with your foot when they were lunging at you with there teeth"
I was trying to figure out how you got your foot up there lol!
I used to always do up girths & surcingles with my elbows ready..Lucky was 'orrible when I got him, think he was pinched in the past
Back to top Go down
http://www.tanglesrosettes.co.uk/3.html
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 am

HA HA HA HA......am laughing like a drain

x
Back to top Go down
lightening
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: re pain in the bum   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 pm

lady is never fed by hand i dont allow it at all shes been alot calmer today i left her in for two days after she got nasty kick from one of the big hunters lucky did no harm today let her play for a few hours she came in had her feet picked rugs on no problem shes 2 years and 3 months now so maybe she is comming into season im keeping my eye on her annd if she plays up again going to try the water brush thankyou have a great night derek lynn lady kits dogs bunny here in uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......   Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek)....... Empty

Back to top Go down

Lady being a pain in the bum (re-posted for Derek).......
Page 1 of 1