Horses Are Us ©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly equestrian forum...created in 2002 & still going strong.Everyone is welcome as long as you share our love of Horses.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Location mapLocation map  

scarey moment with verona

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kim soltydog
kim soltydog

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-18

scarey moment with verona Empty
PostSubject: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 am

Had a bit of a fright today so could do with some advise.

Trish wanted to take Verona out in cart, So I kept her in the barn and turned Dave and Trish's horse out in field.
As you can imagine Verona was not too happy with this and kept going up and down electric fence neighing to them as she wanted to go into field too (they have massive open barn and small elctric fenced turnout yard on a night) I did my jobs and eventually Trish turns up nearly 2.5 hours later. Verona was very fed up by this time as she had been tied up and tacked up for nearly half an hour, and in barn on her own for 2.5 hours in total... apart from me.

We set off up lane and she was being a little silly at things so I guess she was on one a bit. We got to lane end t Junction and I asked her to stand as there were cars comming she was trying to set off and did not want to stand I got firmer with the reins and she reared up vertical affraid , this was extremly scarey as I could not send her on as vehicles were driving passed.

I have got her in a liverpool driving bit and I had the reins on the middle slot and a curb chain on. I am thinking or probably more hoping that this was a one off as I was a little bit too strong with the reins and hurt her mouth. I did stop where it was safe to do so and re connected the reins onto the bit ring rather than the slotts.

Do you think this could have just been a one off as the bit was too severe, she has been so steady up to press and an absolute sweetheart, but it did shake me up.
Kim
Back to top Go down
Lorraine
Admin
Admin
Lorraine

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 am

Yes, Kim I'd say you were a bit firm on her mouth & the action of the bit was like asking for a rein back...but as soon as she did she felt the breaching & went up instead.

If I were you I'd have the groom jump off & stand at her head next time you go out & come to a junction...just to reassure you both.
Lucky was the same, very impatient in harness.which is a worry when you have cars coming, or have to stop at lights. Neutral
Sounds like she had her naughty head on !!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tanglesrosettes.co.uk/3.html
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

Number of posts : 310

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 am

I guess I'll have to go with Lorraine and her suggestions Kim......

I don't know anything about driving at all........

Must of been scary though.....try not to let it knock your confidence or she'll pick up on it.

x
Back to top Go down
kim soltydog
kim soltydog

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 6:15 am

Hi thanks for that Lor, it makes sense what you are saying and I will in future get the groom to get out and hold her at junctions.

Taking her out in cart again Sunday weather permitting.
Back to top Go down
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 6:33 am

Stay calm mate and ooze confidence

x
Back to top Go down
grumpymare
Admin
Admin
grumpymare

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 7:42 am

You been out yet?

x
Back to top Go down
kim soltydog
kim soltydog

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 am

No we ended up riding instead. Josh (13 year old son of farm owner) wanted to have a blast on verona so we went out for a fastish ride That means Dave and I doing collected canter, josh bringing up the rear as fast as verona's little legs will carry him. He loves her to bits and gets such pleasure out of riding her, and he is such a lovely lad makes me wish I had one of my own. She has been a fantastic learning pony for him, he had just had lessons on riding school horses before.
Back to top Go down
kim soltydog
kim soltydog

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:28 am

Forgot to add, back in love with my mild mannerd gent again. He seems to have got over his stupid grumpy stage..and pretending to be a bucking bronco...lets hope it lasts rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scarey moment with verona   scarey moment with verona Empty

Back to top Go down

scarey moment with verona
Page 1 of 1